SEA LIFE Sunshine Coast, Parkyn Parade, Mooloolaba, QLD 4557 AUSApply now
SEA LIFE Sunshine Coast, Parkyn Parade
Mooloolaba, QLD, 4557
Are you passionate about animal welfare and
creating memorable guest experiences? Would you like to work for one of the leading global
companies in visitor entertainment?
We currently have a fantastic opportunity to join our team as a General Curator at SEA LIFE Sunshine Coast Aquarium, part of the Merlin Entertainments group.
This is a leadership position overseeing our curatorial team (28 staff members) so we are looking for someone with excellent people management skills as well as technical experience.
About the Role
Reporting to the General
Manager, you will be responsible for the Curatorial/Displays team at the
Aquarium including Displays, Mammals and Penguins as well as Aquarists and
Senior Aquarists, Dive Teams and Managers.
You and your teams’ focus is to deliver industry-leading engaging and impactful displays, whilst maintaining our high animal welfare standards.
Your duties include but are not limited to:
- Work with key stakeholders to ensure the site’s animal care protocols and programs and all new display design specifications meet or exceed standards
- Lead Curatorial team to deliver world-class aquatic and terrestrial displays through a focus on team engagement, development and implementation of innovative and pioneering display development plans
- Cultivate and inspire guest-obsessed teams who focus on experience as a fundamental requirement of their roles as measured by Mystery Visit, external and internal reviews and key performance indicators
- Ensure effective use and maintenance of the LSS on sites
- Drive the rescue, breeding, conservation and research initiatives and lead the implementation of new strategies to support this
- Ensure that all diving operations on site are managed and undertaken safely
- Work as an integral part of the SLSC SLT to deliver attraction vision, business and capital plans through providing world-class displays
- Is responsible for the ongoing effective management of health, safety and security matters pertaining to team, guests and animals, ensuring reporting procedures are adhered to and that safety issues are resolved
- Work closely with the sales and marketing team to align campaigns, PR, product and initiatives to deliver visitation and revenue targets
- Accountable for setting and management of annual displays budget
To shine in this role, you will have strong operational management and people skills and experience in a similar environment. A passion for working with animals and in the tourism/attraction industry is essential.
You will also have:
- A degree in related field with minimum 8 years of experience
- A strong background in people and performance management as gained through significant experience working as a Curator/Displays Head
- Ability to train, develop and engage a team of functional experts
- An understanding of life support systems, plant and equipment to ensure correct maintenance is carried out in accordance with manufacturers’ recommendations
- A thorough understanding of animal welfare principles, animal behaviour, transport and husbandry development. Close to industry with an ability to share and implement best practice initiatives/techniques
- An eye for detail with a practical ability to inspire and create “wow” displays with a working knowledge of the correct use of theming, lighting and water movement to deliver this
- An understanding of specialist aquarium diving activities that relate to the care and maintenance of aquariums and animals within these environments
- A detailed understanding of workplace health and safety principles, specifically pertaining to the environment in which we work
- Strong networking skills and links to external/industry partners, universities and contacts
About the Benefits
The salary range for this role is $85K - $95K and other benefits include:
- Corporate benefits including free access to all our attractions worldwide
- Domestic and global opportunities to develop and progress your skills and career in tourism and attractions
- Additional Leave (including birthday and wellbeing) and 3 volunteer days to give back to a social cause you care about
- Being part of a business built on fun
Merlin Entertainments is the company behind iconic brands like SEA LIFE, Madame Tussauds, LEGOLAND, and Peppa Pig World of Play. We operate in over 130 attractions across 25 countries, delivering memorable experiences to 54 million+ visitors a year. In Australia and New Zealand, we have 10 attractions, including SEA LIFE, Wild Life, Madame Tussauds, and the Fly Treetop Adventures, amongst others.
Merlin Entertainments is driven by a strong social responsibility with
the vision to create a world where the global community respects, conserves,
and sustainably manages our precious aquatic habitats, wildlife, and natural
resources. We strive to achieve this goal through our 3 charities: Merlins
Magic Wand, the SEA LIFE Trust, and the WILD LIFE Conservation Fund.
So, if you are vibrant and passionate about delivering an amazing service within a great company and in a team who loves what we do – then we want to hear from you!
Everyone Matters at Merlin.
At Merlin we welcome the world to our magical attractions and resorts every day and we want to reflect that same multicultural mix inside our business too. We strive to create an inclusive and diverse workplace where people can be themselves, have the same opportunities and thrive together. Because at Merlin, everyone matters!
Together, we work to create a workplace where everyone feels valued, no matter their age, race, gender, disability or sexual orientation. Although we understand that we'll always be learning and growing, we aim to be the most inclusive and flexible employer in our industry.