SEA LIFE Minnesota, 120 E Broadway, Bloomington, MN 55425 USAApply now
SEA LIFE Minnesota, 120 E Broadway
Bloomington, MN, 55425
SEA LIFE Minnesota is is on the lookout for a Curator to keep the excitement alive everyday!
About the Role
As a Curator you will be responsible for the delivery
of industry-leading, engaging and impactful displays, animal welfare standards
and programs across the attraction. Achieved through direct operational
ownership of SEA LIFE Minnesota (SLMN) curatorial team, animal collection and
displays. Working closely with Midway North America (MNA) Senior Leadership
Team, Global Conservation, Welfare and Engagement (CWE) division and attraction
management teams to deliver brand and attraction long term visions.
- -Leads Curatorial team to deliver world-class aquatic and terrestrial displays through a focus on team engagement, development, and implementation of innovative and pioneering display development plans.
- Consistently improves team engagement, productivity and performance through engagement initiatives, training, and structured management.
- Manages operational and capital expenditure in line with budgets to deliver budgeted EBIT for SLMN.
- Ensures effective use and maintenance of the LSS on sites to maintain the highest animal welfare standards and deliver on SEA LIFE Experience Mandatories.
- Ensure systems are in place to effectively collate, report and rectify deficiencies in LSS systems or their operations.
- Works with key stakeholders and develops strategies to maintain and improve existing and new displays, whilst meeting the SEA LIFE Cornerstones and Experience Mandatories across the region.
- Inspires teams to innovate and create, maximizing guest engagement with creatures.
- Cultivates guest-obsessed teams who focus on experience as a fundamental requirement of their roles as measured by Mystery Visit, external and internal reviews, and key performance indicators.
- Ensures that all diving operations on site are managed and undertaken safely by working in adherence to the Global SEA LIFE Dive Policy and actively leads the involvement of site specialists through the Regional Dive Safety Board.
- Consistently improves team engagement, productivity and performance through engagement initiatives, training and structured management.
- Works creatively with own team and attraction management team to develop and deliver new and engaging displays, products, marketing campaigns and HR initiatives.
- Is autonomous and makes decisions in line with technical and animal expertise, guiding business decisions around animal/display-related actions.
- Has ultimate accountability for all animal/display decisions across SEA LIFE Minnesota.
- A strong background in people and performance management as gained through significant experience working as a Curator/Displays Head.
- A thorough understanding of animal welfare principles, animal behavior, transport, and husbandry development.
- Close to industry with an ability to share and implement best practice initiatives/techniques.
- An eye for detail with a practical ability to inspire and create “wow” displays with a working knowledge of the correct use of theming, lighting and water movement to deliver this.
- Manages and is accountable for Curatorial OPEX and CAPEX budgets.
- Identifies strategic & tactical opportunities to develop curatorial facilities and recommends appropriate courses of action.
- Problem solves complex issues, scaling right back to the cause through relevant investigation techniques and engagement with specialist stakeholders as relevant.
- Is empowered to develop and adapt team functions, structures, approaches, and priorities in line with wider business vision.
- Drives continuous improvement by creating and following up on recommendations for key actions by effective monitoring of month-to-month performance (e.g. KPI’s, mortality rates, breeding successes, conservation project etc.), displays appraisal and vet visits to each site.
- B.A/B.S. degree in Life Sciences (Biology, Marine Biology, Zoology, and Psychology) or a two year certification from an accredited aquarium science/zoological program is preferred.
- Ability to perform job functions of a Lead Aquarist, Aquarist I and Aquarist II.
- 5 years’ experience preferred, but not required.
- A minimum of 3 years of management experience.
- Up to date or ability to acquire CPR/First Aid/AED and O2 certifications.
- Must have the ability to hold a Recuse Diver Scuba certification.
Everyone Matters at Merlin.
At Merlin we welcome the world to our magical attractions and resorts every day and we want to reflect that same multicultural mix inside our business too. We strive to create an inclusive and diverse workplace where people can be themselves, have the same opportunities and thrive together. Because at Merlin, everyone matters! Together, we work to create a workplace where everyone feels valued, no matter their age, race, gender, disability or sexual orientation. Although we understand that we'll always be learning and growing, we aim to be the most inclusive and flexible employer in our industry.